Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I May Never Be A Runner

I've been running here and there the past few weeks, with nothing all that exciting to report. In fact, my running has been the opposite of exciting. My best run as of late happened yesterday, and it lasted just 16 minutes. I'm trying desperately to get back in the game, yet not making any progress. 16 minutes is absolutely unacceptable to me, but I guess I'll have to be happy with that for now because I don't seem to be imporving at all.

My Garmin has been my faithful running partner, always there to helpfully point out just how slow I run. It drives me bonkers how slow I am. There is probably no hope of me ever having a group of people to run with, because I just wouldn't be able to keep up. The most frustrating part is that when I plug the Garmin in at home, the little chart that comes up shows your different paces, and which range they fall into "slow walk, walk, slog jog, run, etc". My running seems to hover between at a jog, so I guess technically I'm not running at all. You only merit being a runner if your pace is under 9 minutes, and even then you're a "slow" runner. Actual running kicks in at a 7 minute mile.

For now, I guess I'll just keep on jogging. As the blog says, I'm a girl who runs-kind of.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, 7 minute miles are for 20 year old boys! You would probably like a group, because then you would see that there are people who run slower than you, and if not, hopefully the group would make you run farther and faster, just because of peer pressure. Give yourself credit for getting out and doing it, because it is not easy!