Thursday, June 25, 2009

Running=Torture

That's all I could think about today when I ran. Or should I say when I "ran". I completed 12.5 minutes of shuffling around my neighborhood, and I think it would be a bit of a stretch to call it running. I still haven't gotten back on track after taking all that time off from being sick in May. I'm pleased to say that I have gotten back into the routine and I've been heading out pretty regularly, at least 3 times a week. So that's a plus. What's not a plus is that I can only hack 10 minute runs. My muscles apparently gave up on me when I took my time off, so not only can I not breathe when I run, but my legs are burning too.

I think I'll also point out our horrible, horrible humidity. Even my dog Moxie was acting pretty tired during the run, so I know I wasn't the only one effected. It's like a blanket of sweaty heat just closing in around you while you run. No breeze, no relief, no nothing. It's been over 30 minutes since I got back and I still haven't cooled down!

Angela wants to do a 5K in about 5 weeks, and although I said I would do it, I don't know if I'll be ready. I hope so, because I decided that I'd like my regular runs to be about 4 miles, several times a week. It seems like a pretty lofty and unattainable goal right now!

2 comments:

Patty said...

You really have the weather working against you, in N. Carolina. Setting goals is the best way for you to get better at running. Don't think about how hard it is going to be and just focus on your next run. I am proud of you for getting out there when it is humid!

The Emerging Runner said...

let's see more postings from GWR! What's happening with the 5K?