Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Slow Sprinting-Oxymoron or Pathetic Truth?

I had planned to take a walk today, due to feeling a little tired, but in the end decided doing intervals would give me the most bang for my buck, exercising wise. Hard work, but shorter time. I had Laura in the jogging stroller and it's insanely hot, so I didn't go nearly as quickly this time. Plus I upped my walking time to 45 seconds, from 30 seconds the last time.

I did my six reps and only did .97 miles (in 10:30). I suppose if I had just run a straight mile I would have been out for the same amount of time, but I definitely feel I worked harder. Hopefully I won't feel as sore tomorrow as I did last time I did intervals-I could barely walk down the stairs last time! This time my "sprinting" pace hovered around 7:45/8 minutes, much slower than last time when I was managing in the 6's and 7's. But nonetheless, I'm glad I did it, I certainly hadn't planned on doing anything remotely like work today.

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Planning on walking and then doing sprints instead is a total 360 change in plans. Those are some nice sprint times 6/7 mile pace. If you keep doing them and start increasing you long runs, you'll start seeing your overall pace come down.