Monday, October 27, 2008

One Foot In Front Of The Other

I'm so excited to be one of the Girls Who Run!! Angela invited me to join in on chronicling our running experiences, so here goes....


I can't quite remember my official start date, but I got serious about running about 5 or 6 weeks ago. And by got serious, I mean that I started to huff and puff through my neighborhood for about 60 seconds at a time. I was inspired by a website I had found that touted a "Couch-to-5K Running Plan".
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
The first week sounds pathetic (60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes total) but that was just what I needed to get started. And it was about all I could handle!

Now, several weeks later, I've noticed definite improvement. I can run for much longer stretches at a time and can handle running over a mile. To a seasoned runner, that probably sounds like a warm-up run, but for me, it's a big step!! Yesterday was my best total running time-20 minutes-although it wasn't all in one stretch. I have a long way to go for my 5K on December 5th.

And I'm putting this here to hold myself to it: someday I will run a Half Marathon!

1 comment:

Angela said...

20 minutes total is a big deal! Good for you!