Sunday, November 29, 2009

Drivers Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

More like your life, when you're a runner! I hate that we have no sidewalks in our neighborhood. It's really not ideal to have to run in the street, but I've found that most people in our neighborhood are pretty good drivers when I'm running, slowing down and giving me a wide berth. Not today though!

I had Laura in the jogging stroller today, and as usual we were running against traffic, with Moxie closest to oncoming traffic. I always figure she is the most expendable (sorry Moxie!) and today that's exactly what almost happened. Coming around a corner we were almost creamed by a lady texting on her cell phone (which is illegal in North Carolina now). The best part is that this wasn't a teenager...I'd say she was at least 45 or 50. Mature enough to know better, right? I pulled Moxie out of her way and just stood there in open-mouthed horror as she looked at me and drove on. This is not some corner with bad visibility, mind you. I saw her was she was still about 6 houses away.

Later, running on a straightaway, this time it was an adult man, yapping away on the phone and driving about 40 mph. He swerved and slammed on his brakes, but kept right on his way once he passed us.

All of the adrenaline, plus this being the first time I've pushed Laura in quite some time, plus me gasping for air, plus unseasonably hot weather made for a 12 minute run. Ugh. My half-marathon is looking pretty impossible right now.

No comments: