Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I hate my treadmill...

I'm totally convinced that my treadmill is messing with me. I ran this morning for about 26 minutes, and my treadmill said I covered just over two miles. This just can't be right.... I know I was running faster than I usually do, not slower....

After thinking about it, I wonder if this is why I totally surprised myself during the Reindeer Run 5k?  I did most of my training on the treadmill at 0% incline, and then ran the race at a consistent nine-minute-mile pace -- about 1:30 faster than my training pace -- despite huge hills. Hmm...

Anyway, felt good to run, and since I've added yoga and abs back into the routine this week, I'm feeling ahead of the game, and my scale seems to agree. For today at least... 


2 comments:

Claire said...

What's up with the treadmill conspiracy? Very strange. I guess you will be pleasantly surprised next time you run outside!

The Emerging Runner said...

I've spent lots of time trying to understand the relationship between treadmill displays and reality. My Garmin with foot pod remains my benchmark. Recently I ran on a high end treadmill and noticed the Garmin and that machine were spot on. The fact that the Garmin is very accurate tells me that I can trust its accuracy more than my treadmill's where there's usually a difference (treadmill underestimates speed/distance). Have you thought about getting a foot pod to work with your 405?