Monday, April 6, 2009

Let's talk about the "H" word....and then the "P" word...

I ran yesterday afternoon, at about 2PM. I thought I'd see what it was like to run in the "heat," although it was just about 80 degrees and windy, but not humid -- not nearly as uncomfortable as it will be in a month or two.  Well, the "H" word (as in HOT) is absolutely no fun. In fact, it sucked.  The wind didn't help (you'd think it would) because it was blowing the yellow pine pollen in my face. I had sunglasses on to protect my eyes, but I'm sure that my lungs are covered with the stuff because I could taste it....gross. I was so hot and so covered in pollen that I even had to stop and walk a couple of times. All in all, I ran with a few brief walking breaks for about 35 minutes. Not even close to what I'd call a good run, but I can see two good outcomes of the run: 1) I now know that I must get up early in the summer to run or stick to the treadmill - the heat is only going to get worse, and 2) Running in the heat allowed me to wear my new running skirt!  

About the skirt -- totally comfortable, and very adorable by the way, so a trip to the grocery store pre- or post-run would be doable without me feeling sloppy (of course, you all know I don't really care and frequently shop in yoga pants, etc. but still...).  I told Ed I'd like to get several and just run in skirts all summer. From the way his eyes about fell out of his head when he first saw me in it (his comments have been censored for fear that those of you that have not lived with a soldier for over a decade might blush), I can see that he'll have no problem in my spending the money. Well, of course I'd be spending MY money, but that's another matter... :-)

1 comment:

Claire said...

I feel you on the heat-it was just awful, and very worrisome for what this means for the summer.

I'm so glad to hear the running skirt was a success on all fronts! But we knew Ed would like it ;)