Friday, January 22, 2010

I Hate The Treadmill

Today was such a crummy run! It's still raining and wet, so I went to Ft. Bragg today in search of a treadmill to run on. The first gym I went to was closed, and the resulting trek to find another gym was so frustrating. The gym I finally found was boiling hot inside and I had to resist the urge to take all my clothes off-it was that hot. Even worse, everything seemed to be bothering me-my ankles, my knees, my shins, my calves. I thought for sure running on a treadmill would be easier on them.

I ran a mile at a 10:31 pace and had to stop and walk because my left shin was really killing me. I think part of the problem is that my shoes are old, but it occurred to me that when I sprained my ankle in December it was a different sprain than I'm used to-it was more on the top of my ankle, not the side. So it seems to get tight when I run which doesn't allow me to flex my foot all the way, which makes my calf and shin get really tight and painful. I'm going to try to search out some ankle exercises to do something about this, because when I ran on Wednesday it was just as painful. I really don't want to stop running after I've been doing so well, but even I have to admit it wouldn't be smart to keep running when my shin hurts so much.

After I walked for a few minutes I ran another .7 miles. Wow. So I did 1.7 miles running, but 2.25 overall, in 27:27. Yuck. And why does 10:31 pace on the treadmill seem so much faster than when I run outside? Overall, a really dissatisfying run.

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

At least you made the effort to run. Patty and I had the full use of a nice gym close to home and we still couldn't bring ourselves to go run on a treadmill. And I agree, running on a treadmill is MUCH harder than running on real ground. It always seems like it takes more work to run your normal pace.

Claire said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has such a hard time on the treadmill! I was relating my troubles to a gym-going friend and she was shocked that I had such a hard time! I guess I'm just so used to being outside and my pace fluctuating throughout my run. On the treadmill you can't really do that.