Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last Run of 2008

I ran earlier today and Angela is right--it was windy!! I don't think I can use that as my excuse though. Only 15 minutes again, for the second time in a row. I think I did about 1.5 miles which is acceptable but not good by any stretch of the imagination. My legs felt like lead the entire time, and my lungs were barely functioning. I hope I'm not getting sick again.

It is worth mentioning, as I did on my other blog, that we recently adopted a dog named Moxie. She is 3 years old, so old enough to go on runs, but she is just as out of shape as I am...I took her with me today and she was huffing and puffing right along with me. It's somehow comforting that she and I are on the same level, although I think she will get better than me pretty soon! Still, it's nice to have a companion on my runs, no matter how awesome she will soon be.

And on a sentimental note, while I think 2008 will probably go down in history as one of my worst running years (although that statement puts a lot of pressure on my future running self), it will always hold a special place in my heart because this was the year I finally got serious about running and my health. This was the year I did my Couch to 5K plan and actually saw it through to completion. This was the year that I was mad when I was sick because I couldn't run. This was the year I finally had enough of the baby weight (4 years later) and was ready to get rid of it. This was the year Angela and I started talking on the phone every day (sometimes multiple times!) so we could discuss running. This was the year I ran over a mile without stopping and didn't die. In short, I became a different person this year, and I love it.

1 comment:

Angela said...

2008 was a terrific year for you, huh Claire? The good news is, I think the hardest part of running (making it a habit, that is...) is behind us!