Friday, February 6, 2009

No Watch Equals More Running?

It was still very cold this morning but I had told myself I was going to run no matter what. I debated going to the gym and running on a treadmill, but I really wanted to be outside, so I headed to the park after dropping Moxie off for a bath. I thought for sure I would run faster since I didn't have her to be reeling in every so often, but it turns out I am just slow no matter what.

I forgot my watch which I was really irritated about but I figured maybe it was fortuitous since Patty reminded me not to be so concerned about my times and just worry about distance. So I told myself I would do the figure eight at the track which we now know is 1.5 miles. I finished that and wasn't dead, so I kept going and did the smaller loop again, which is supposedly .6 miles. I'm not sure how much I trust their sign though since the 1.8 miles thing seems wrong, but for now I'm going with it.

I completed the smaller loop and ran a tiny bit more in front of the library to get back to my car. I "sprinted" for the last minute or two and when I got back to my car I almost barfed. So I feel very official now! I checked the clock in my car-I was out for 27 minutes, and I'm guessing about 3 of those minutes were walking. So I went farther than I have in a while, and it was all because I didn't have my watch. If I had, I probably would have set a goal for myself of 15 or 20 minutes and wouldn't have done as much. It felt so weird not knowing how long I ran for, but I may have to do this more often. It really did help me go farther. And thank goodness for finally cracking the 2 mile barrier again, I thought it would never happen!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Way to go, Claire -- almost barfing and breaking the two-mile barrier? Just proof that you're officially a runner! :-)

Patty said...

Good job Claire, talking yourself into running when the weather is bad is a major accomplishment. Would you ever have thought you'd be proud of the fact that you ran till you almost barfed? Keep up the good work! We are grounded here by some pretty heavy rains, hoping for a little break tomorrow morning so I can get out for a run.