Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yuck

Today should have been a great run. It's slightly overcast but not cold, Laura was in a good mood this morning which always makes my morning better, and I was actually dressed and ready to run before I even took Laura to school. On the way home I charted a course that included some running on the main road, in a different section than what I've already done. New courses always add interest to my run.

So I got home from dropping Laura off, collected Moxie, and off we went. I could feel right away this run wasn't going to be a good one. I began the course I planned to run, but only went about half of what I had planned to run on the main road before turning back around. It's really tough running there-lots of pine straw hiding all the dips in the ground, making for very uneven ground. I was shocked and saddened by the amount of trash and debris, plenty of it the broken glass variety. Cars were whizzing by and even though I had several feet between me and them, I just wasn't liking any of it. Not to mention my legs felt like lead and my lungs weren't moving any air.

I got back home, checked my mailbox watch and saw it had only been 15.5 minutes!! So I pushed on for a few more and finished at 20.5. It was a disappointing run to say the least, and really made me wish we had better places to run.

*****
Edited to add: Checked the mileage when I drove to get Laura, and it was 1.8 miles. Yuck again.

2 comments:

Angela said...

One day you'll have to come over this way and run the neighborhoods around my house - it might be a good change of scenery for you! Even if I can't go when you're ready to run, you can park your car here, leave me your keys and take off! Or maybe you can peel me off of my computer and give me a good excuse to actually take a break to run! Either way, I try to remember that these days will happen and it's sometimes just keeping up the habit of running even if the run itself sucks....right? :-)

Patty said...

I think you need a place to run that is a little more enjoyable for you. Do you have any trails or parks you can go to? Does Moxie mind being in the car? I have a great water belt that has a place to put my car key, or I tie it to my shoe on a shorter one where I don't carry water. They sell key fobs that attach to your shoe at running and probably any store that sells running shoes. Now that we run so much on the trails, we really hate when we have to run part on the street, the noise of the cars just drives us crazy.