Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hope Mills Park Loop

I ran again today at the park and I have to say I'm really starting to like it there. The ground feels softer underfoot (even though that's probably just my imagination) and I love seeing other people out exercising. The warmish weather today really brought a lot of people out. Plus it's a nice change from my neighborhood.

So I heard from a reliable source (aka Angela) that to do the 1.8 miles that they advertise, you have to run a figure 8. After my relatively "fast" mile there on Tuesday, I decided to attempt the entire 1.8 miles. I felt like I was moving so slowly. Moxie was begging me to go faster but I just couldn't. The only time I mustered any speed was when I ran past the police officers who were standing outside on a break. Having about 10 of them clustered around the path sure inspired me to look like a pro. Maybe I should pay them to scatter themselves around the track?

Anyway, I was shocked to look at my time and see I had done the 1.8 miles in 16:15! I have to say there is really no way that is possible so I'm kind of questioning if I actually did the full 1.8 miles. I can't think what other combination would add up to the 1.8 miles, so I want to think I am actually that fast. But it's really too good to be true.

I walked for a few minutes after finishing the loop, then ran for 4 more minutes for 20 minutes of running. I guess for the ego boost I will tell myself I really was that fast today, until I am proven wrong the next time I run.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Fabulous!!!! And I like the idea of paying police officers to watch me run. I bet my knee would stop hurting immediately....or I'd run through the pain! :-)