Thursday, January 29, 2009

Started!

So I decided today was as good as any day to start exercising. After all it's been 9 whole days since I gave birth to my 5.7 lb bundle of joy. I walked a mile (yes that's right ONE mile) in 24 minutes. Although in my defense the dog was with me and I had to stop to pick up some poop and I did stop to talk to a neighbor for a minute or so. I don't know for certain if I could have walked any faster but I believe so therefor it must be true. It felt good but I'm tired now. One mile seemed like a good start after 3 months of bed rest and no physical activity for almost 6 months because of my pregnancy issues. I guess I'll use a mile as my base and see where I can go from there. Hopefully running will soon follow, but I definitely wasn't ready for that today.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Good for you, Shana!! Given how long you've been out of the running game (and really the physical activity game, too), I think a mile is a terrific accomplishment!

Claire said...

Good for you!!! I am very inspired by you. When Laura was 9 days old I was still laying on the couch. Same thing when she was 9 weeks and 9 months. I finally started exercising when she was 10 days shy of her 4th birthday. So you are way ahead of the game in my mind!

Shana said...

Thanks! Although I think I am more motivated by my desire to stay in the military and not fail my PT test which will come up way sooner than I think it will (I get 6 months to get back into passing shape). With Olga I waited a little too long to get started and had a really tough time. I'm hoping to make that a little easier this time!