Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Possible Lung Damage

Okay, so I'm just being dramatic. But after today's attempt at a run, it sure feels like I collapsed one of my lungs or something. I took Moxie to the Hope Mills Park for a change of pace and some relatively flat ground (except that one dreaded "hill"). I also wanted to get an idea of my mile time, since Angela says the outer loop is 1.02 miles. I did have Moxie dragging me along, which I thinked both helped and hurt me. I seem to run faster when I have her, but I also have more distractions to deal with from keeping her in line. That tends to use up any meager amount of energy I was conserving for the run.

So I did the first loop in 10:10, which I was happy with. Of course 8:30 would have been even better, but for now I am happy. I really pushed myself at the end and that is when the lung pain started. Usually if I'm short of breath I feel tight and a slight burn. This time was extreme burn and a sharp pain that still hasn't completely gone away. But I have to admit I was so happy to be out running that I basically ignored the pain. That's what real runners do, right?

In the end, I ran for 15 minutes straight, walked 3, and then ran 4 more to finish the second loop. So that was about 2 miles today. I'm glad I finally had a chance to go out again, but I feel like I am starting over yet again.

2 comments:

Shana said...

Maybe it was the cold air? I tend to get lung/throat pain when I run in the cold with out covering up my mouth (since I can never breath soley through my nose like everything I've ever read suggests)....

The Emerging Runner said...

I had a similar experience about a month ago. It was definitely due to the cold air and a fast pace. My throat was burning for 30 minutes after I finished my run and I was concerned that this would happen every time I ran in the cold going forward. Happily that was not the case, hasn't happened again, not ieven in 12 degrees last Sunday.